View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 AM
mar32428

Originally Posted by moreland
It seems as Long Arm Quilting becomes more and more accessible, the amount of quilting seen on laq quilts has exploded. I have to sometimes wonder if the quilting is trying to outdo the piecing/fabric/design. I am not a laq and I am not taking potshots at those of you who are, but I just wondered if anyone else ever thought about this. I am not convinced that having quilting on every piece of the fabric that is visible is necessarily the "best way"--I tend to feel like it becomes "one upmanship" between piecer and quilter.
Do you think as we get past the initial rapture of now being able to quilt as much as we want to/can, that there will be more balance? Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks it is often out of balance???
I always thot that in the beginning, quilting was intended to hold the layers together in a discrete manner or design. It seems to me that later on the quilting is almost outdoing the design and I don't care for those quilts. Why would we have shadow stitching if not to enhance the design?