View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by Shelley
LA quilter here - and just my opinion. I'll duck and run when done!

If a quilt is stiff after quilting, the problem is the combination of the quilting AND they type of batting used. You can 'quilt to death' wool batting and it won't get stiff.

(snipped stuff here)

We just had our county fair. There were some beautifully pieced quilts with quilting on them that just made me want to cry. These quilt could have been award winners, but the poor quilting and lack of quilting detracted from the top.

I'm ducking and running now!!
Come back here!! LOL

I agree with the batting making more difference in the stiffness of the quilt than the quilting does to a point. I'm betting the people complaining about too much quilting making the quilt stiff are using Warm and Natural. That batting gets stiff as a board if you quilt it very close.

Then there's micro quilting. There's a gorgeous wall quilt being shown in quilt shows in this area that has trees and a stream with a bridge over it. It is intensly quilted and quite stiff. But that's the way the maker intended for it to turn out.

I saw a Vintage Valentine quilt in the quilt show that the quilting pretty much ruined the quilt. Vintage Valentine is a gorgeous, album style applique quilt and the maker did an all over, smallish meander.