View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 AM
justme

I feel so bad for you. I am sure one of the ladies here can come up with a solution for you, Here are sone tips I FOUND ON THE INTERNET. DON'T KNOW IF THEY WILL HELP... good luck

Tip #1: To remove a scorch mark from linen or white cotton fabric, dip a piece of old fabric in hydrogen peroxide, lay it on the scorched portion of the fabric, and rub with a hot iron (not too hot). If it doesn't work the first time, repeat until the stain is completely removed.

Tip #2: If you scorch cotton fabric while ironing, plunge into cold water immediately and let stand 24 hours. The scorched areas will disappear.

Tip #3: To remove scorch mark from a garment, take a clean, soft cloth moistened with white vinegar and rub over discolored area. Take another clean cloth dampened with water and rub area again. Continue pressing or ironing garment.

Tip #4: To remove a scorch mark from clothing, rub the mark with a lemon and set garment out in the sun.

Tip #5: I had a turquoise all cotton camp shirt top that I found had a yellow mark near a button hole. It looked like a scorch mark even though I did not recall causing it when I ironed the shirt or even seeing it before. However I do have to iron this shirt each time it is washed and the shape of the yellow mark looked just like the point of an iron. I tried the hint I found on this website of taking a piece of fabric soaked in hydrogen peroxide and then using it as an ironing cloth with a hot (but not TOO hot) iron or the stained area. I had to do this several times and each time I tried it the scorch mark visibly lightened! It did not come completely out but has faded such a great deal that I will be able to wear that top again thanks to this great tip!

Tip #6: Just a quick note to thank you for saving my life! Well, not really, but I was SO upset when I scorched one of my honey's favorite shirts today. I went to Martha Stewart's site, thinking she would have a way to fix it, but no luck at all - when you look up "scorch" you are directed to plants being scorched by the sun! So I googled "repair scorch" and you popped up! Your fix recommendation was perfect! Now I'm using the same technique to see if it will lift collar discoloration! You are a terrific resource! Thank you!...Debi

Tip #7: I tried the tip with hydrogen peroxide and it worked beautifully! I had a brand new white jean skirt that I laid next to a hot iron...(didn't realize they were touching). I found I had a long scorch mark near waist. I figured I would be out the $$ to buy a new one. I had to do the technique about 5 times, but the stain is gone! What a God-send your tip was!...Pam

Tip #8: Your tip of placing the scorched clothing into icy water worked! I scorched my white cotton/spandex blouse. I went to the internet and saw your tips. Since the fabric also had spandex with the cotton I chose not to use the hydrogen peroxide on it. The scorch (wasn't too big but visible) was gone after an hour in the ice water...Elizabeth

Tip #9:I just tried this tip on some polyester I did hand embroidery on. While trying to iron out the residual ink from the transfer I inadvertently scorched the embroidery floss. This tip saved the fabric which will be used to create a heirloom pillow. Thanks so much for sharing...Cindy

Tip #10: Thank you for saving a very big day! I was pressing a 94-year-old heirloom baptism dress for my 9th grandchild and scorched it - panic! I found your idea for the hydrogen peroxide and it worked!!!! Thank you so very much!!! - and all my future grandchildren thank you too!!...Pat

Tip #11: THANK YOU! While staying in a friend's guest house, I kicked off the comforter and it landed up against an electric floorboard heater. I was horrified to see a large scorch mark--right in the center of the duvet cover. The hydrogen peroxide tip is fabulous! Can't thank you enough!...Linda

Tip #12: This is why I love the Internet! I scorched a pair of beige 100% cotton shorts. So I went on the Internet looking for a remedy and happened upon this site. I used the ice water method, and this is how: I got a half-gallon jug of ice water out of the refrigerator and poured it all out on the scorched area. Then I hung the shorts outside to dry. I kept checking to see if the scorch mark was still there, and it wasn't. I thought I couldn't see it because the shorts were still wet. But when they were dry, I saw that the scorch mark was completely gone. I couldn't believe it! Thanks so much!...K

Tip #13: Fantastic tip about the hydrogen peroxide - I sold an adorable 50's sundress with exquisite black embroidery on the white dress and wanted to starch and press it before mailing. Apparently, I bumped the temperature setting, and it got too hot and scorched the dress in 2 large areas. I WAS SICK!!! I looked up "Scorched" on google and found your solutions and VOILA the hydrogen peroxide eliminated ALL traces of the 2 large scorch marks. HIGHLY RECOMMEND HYDROGEN PEROXIDE !!! Thanks so much