Old 09-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by rosemaynes
Hello everyone,
Here is my story and I hope someone out there can help me. A very nice man called me today and asked if I could finish his wife's quilt. She died 3 years ago and when he was going through a closet he found this quilt that his wife had started. Their daughter is getting married in a month or so and he would love to give it to her as a wedding gift. Here's the problem, the blocks are 12 inch blocks that she had already hand quilted around them and so there is batting and backing to each block. Now what??? How do I put these together? Can I add sashing? The quilting and piecing is very nice and she has done a great job... but I don't know how to put it together with the back already attached. Please help me make this dream come true. Rose
I have added a picture and you can see on the left her hand stitching in red and you can see the batting and backing to each block.
I also was going to suggest that uyou use the QAYG method. Since you already have the blocks and she has quilted them, essentially the quilt was done by the mother, and you are only going to put the blocks together. What a nice wedding gift for the daughter, knowing that the quilt was done by her mother. It is so nice of you to finish the quilt for them. Blessings to you for being there to do this my quilter friend. God always knows the right time to have someone come into the life of another. I hope you will post a picture of the quilt when it is finished.