Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
omak

Originally Posted by kwhite
The last few things I have made look good. But at the same time they look almost commercial in that there are few "hand made" features. It kinda bothers me that anyone would look at my creations as commercially made cause they are good. Am I the only one??
Pretty hard to not look commercial when you are absolutely doing the same thing to produce your quilt that is being done at a factory.
Or, put another way - - sewn products are actually sewn by real human beings, just like you and me ... there is no machine to take fabric, cut up pieces and get that blouse or pair of jeans out the other end ...
as one has already commented - - factory standards can be very poor, but not all factory work is sub-standard, any more than every quilter is an absolute professional.
I have a lot of older quilting magazines and books. It seems to me that with our quick sew, rotary cutting techniques, we are actually losing some of the skills our grandmothers utilized to accomplish the unique flavor of their quilts.
I know what you are meaning, Miss Kwhite - - but, don't worry about it! After all - - the factory standard should be excellent! and home or factory, all should try to produce the best ... the factory/commercial really is just a bigger version of what we accomplish daily in our individual sewing rooms <wave>