Thread: Lil' Twister
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Dar-midlife

A member of our local quilt group learned this method free from a quilt shop on a vacation. At that time, there was a "ruler"or tool commercially made so she was just given the size with the spots to draw the reference lines. Her DG went to the local hardware store, bought plexiglass and made her one. Course, when she show us, she enlisted him to cute quite a few squares and we each gave her a couple of bucks to cover the cost of the materials, etc. We each added our own little "bumper" on the bottom to keep it from slipping. Very economical to make your own and most hardware stores will even cut them for you and you just draw your lines on. As far as I know, there isn't (or wasn't) a copyrighted pattern at that time. I have the self made pattern and dimensions to make the square templates. As far as waste goes, there is some but maybe I should be saving those for a postage stamp quilt!! Anyway, it seems like it would be tricky when you first see it done or try it, but really it is a very easy way to make a "pinwheel" and I have done several. Fun, fun. Whoo who! I just figured out how to add a photo so below are some from our get-together on making these. They are before and after. (the before one in the middle is not the same as the one that is on the after with me so no, you are not losing your mind!)

My finished "after" on the left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110051[/ATTACH]

Three "before" quilts. (I am on the right)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110126[/ATTACH]

This is the "after" from the "before" quilts on the left above.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110127[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-110046.jpe   attachment-110121.jpe   attachment-110122.jpe