Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Carol's Quilts

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Originally Posted by DeniseP
I don't like the bulk of batting in my placemats. I like to use a piece of flannel intead. It gives the placemat enough body without adding bulk. But that's just me......
No, it's not just you - I like using flannel, too!
Do you wash the flannel first? I don't wash any of my fabric and have never had a problem.
This is how my mother viewed washing fabric before using it:
"Clothing manufacturers don't wash fabric before they make clothes, nobody would buy it." I'm down with that.
This is a controversial subject, but I always, always prewash all fabrics (washable fabrics only, of course). I've found this to be especially true of 100% cotton fabrics. I have had too many problems with fabrics shrinking, fading, bleeding, etc, to say nothing of finding out after washing that the design on the fabric was not printed squarely. All of this would have absolutely ruined anything I made with it. Once burned, twice shy. Only last week I returned a panel print to Joann's after I washed and dried it because it turned out that the whole picture in the panel was crooked on the fabric; the the selvages matched up perfectly and the yardage was cut perfectly straight on the dotted cutting line. They gave me all my money back and marked the whole bolt as defective.

It's probably true that clothing manufacturers don't wash fabrics first. Have you ever washed a T-shirt that was all twisted and wonky after it was washed and dried? You can't fold it straight, it doesn't hang straight when it's worn, the neckline is out of kilter, etc.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I always prewash.