Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

about the "fulled wool" statement, #4;;;
fulled wool is REALLY GOOD! but is easily the least expensive way to get to use wools...it is very easy to felt wools and there are very expensive wools in thrift stores and yard sales for next to nothing...my hubby and i went to a yard sale just last week lady wanted some items to go away...we left with a large black garbage bag full of mens wool dress coats. all old,dated with a hole here and there. we spent the evening taking them apart. saved all the wonderful buttons, and the pile of wool fabric i have would cost probably over $100 to buy it by the yard (there are many large pieces in a coat)
then into the washing machine with lots of hot-hot water and detergent for wool...i used sythropol because i'm going to over-dye my wools, cold rinse. then into the dryer on hot. out comes wonderful felted wool ready for me to do with as i will, and my cost...$6. the wools in the quilt shop here are $22 a yard, my total yardage estimate for my $6 is about 9 1/2 yards!
and wools are easy to dye so you are not limited in color selections at all

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I did some googling. Things are things that I read, I have no experience with any of these. What I learned was:
1. You can hand quilt, but it is heavy and may be much easier to machine quilt
2. It is very heavy
3. Some people use sweaters and make felted wool
4. Fulled wool is really good, but extremely expensive and in limited colors
5. Antique wool quilts often had flannel backing
6. Many people use wool applique's on Flannel fabrics
:thumbup: :thumbup: