Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by ckcowl
about the "fulled wool" statement, #4;;;
fulled wool is REALLY GOOD! but is easily the least expensive way to get to use wools...it is very easy to felt wools and there are very expensive wools in thrift stores and yard sales for next to nothing...my hubby and i went to a yard sale just last week lady wanted some items to go away...we left with a large black garbage bag full of mens wool dress coats. all old,dated with a hole here and there. we spent the evening taking them apart. saved all the wonderful buttons, and the pile of wool fabric i have would cost probably over $100 to buy it by the yard (there are many large pieces in a coat)
then into the washing machine with lots of hot-hot water and detergent for wool...i used sythropol because i'm going to over-dye my wools, cold rinse. then into the dryer on hot. out comes wonderful felted wool ready for me to do with as i will, and my cost...$6. the wools in the quilt shop here are $22 a yard, my total yardage estimate for my $6 is about 9 1/2 yards!
and wools are easy to dye so you are not limited in color selections at all
I just did this! I bought a lot of wool yardage at an estate sale. You can tell it was expensive by the feel and weight of it. Now it's all ready to go and I just have to decide what to do with it! Flannel for the backing may be a good idea.