View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Ruby Y Campos

I really haven't given up anything. I was still working when I lost my husband 17 years ago. I had a stressful job and I pretty much was putting more hours in just so I wouldn't have to go home to an empty house. I retired in '02. got myself a new sewing machine and my quilting has been a real lifesaver for me. I often get so involved in sewing I forget to eat or go to bed!! My daughter lives fairly close and has 6 childern (ages 1 - 14)and I do help her with child care a day or 2 per week, so that gives me the chance to spend time with with them and when I am sewing/quilting I am often making quilts for them. I have met so many good friends through my quilting going to classes, retreats or just fabric shopping. I often think of those who have commented that they want to just keep working because they don't what they would do if they didn't have a job. We need our hobbies. I have a sister (also a quilter) in Denver and since my husband's death she comes for at least a week (now that we are both retired) every year. We have visited all the fabric shops here in the Chicago area, attended the quilt shows, laugh, eat, stay up late, etc. I just am so blessed with my quilting that keeps me active, and can make things for others, and meet so many interesting people. I haven't met one quilter that I didn't like! The quilting keeps me keeping on--keeping on. This connection on line is a plus, also.