View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 AM
quilterella

[quote=watson's mom]
Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.[/quote

You are hard pressed to find inexpensive fabric in Canada. If we order on line then shipping and duty gets us. If we go to the LQS we pay 15-23 dollars a metre, unless it is on sale, maybe 30% off, but, I've never seen 50% off unless it was i) Super ugly, or ii) old fabric ( 5yrs +) or iii) the quality of fabric was so bad no one else wanted it.
I haven't been in a quilt shop I would be guessing atleast 4 years. The only fabric I've purchased (online) was for my avatar quilt, everything else is from stash. I will admit, I did own a Quilt shop a few years ago ( so I have a large stash) and even back then, stores were charging 15.95 - 23.95 for fabric and I doubt it's gone down...I don't know, is there is solution to the high price of fabric?