Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Traditionally it is made by tracing out two parts of the block with 2 curved templates. But I have developed my own way of making them without having to piece any curves. The only curved sewing is when we sew the “yoyo” onto a background fabric. There are several ways you can do this so it is not a hard thing to do.

So lets continue on to how to make a flat “yoyo” I have been told this is not really a yoyo but as it is the same steps up to the point where you sew the center hole closed I will still call it a yoyo.

We are using a 1 ½” template but you can use any size template to create blocks of larger size. The yoyos will need to be bigger also for a bigger size block.

TIP: To figure out the size circle you need for a larger block just cut a circle of paper to use as a trial run. Place your circle on the template you are going to use and see it that size fits

Making a flat yoyo:

Cut a swatch of each fabric - a swatch is a piece of fabric that you cut without measuring. You should make sure you cut at least a 3 1/2" size piece. You can cut a square but you will be trimming it down later. The reason for this is to get a more accurate block.

Pull the thread tight across the back of the yoyo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111576[/ATTACH]

Light Burgandy swatch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111771[/ATTACH]

Cut a 2\u0094 circle of cardboard for a circle template. Lay the circle on the back side of the light swatch. Trim the swatch to about ½\u0094 to ¾\u0094 from the circle. It doesn\u0092t need to be cut perfectly round but don\u0092t cut it much smaller. A little larger gives you more to work with when you pull the thread.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111772[/ATTACH]

Thread a needle with a length of thread at least 10\u0094 Sew a running (basting) stitch around the edge of the light burgundy swatch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111774[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-111571.jpe   attachment-111766.jpe   attachment-111767.jpe   attachment-111769.jpe