Old 09-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

TIP: You can sew the yoyo on in several ways. You can sew it on with the sewing machine as I show below here. Or you can hand sew it on or use a zigzag or other stitch on your machine and sew around on the edge. You can certainly use the needle turn method if that is what you are comfortable with. If you are uncomfortable with these you could use an iron on method.

TIP: You can practice with paper to get the feel of sewing a circle with your sewing machine. Cut out a 2” circle and practice sewing it onto another piece of paper.

--------------

Next it is time to cut the swatch apart. You need to cut this into four but they need to be the same size.

Basically you want to measure the width of your yoyo and cut down the middle with your rotary cutter.
I have an 18” ruler cut into two sections. I like to use both of them so I can position them on the yoyo.

Then I take away the right one leaving the left one in place and cut. I don’t have to figure any fractions that way. Just use the lines on the rulers to center your yoyo between both rulers.

Some math is unavoidable but why bother if you don’t have to- right?
Make sure to lay ruler parallel with the edge of the swatch or you will not have room for the template.

This is the most important part of this process. You
need to take the time to be as accurate as possible in your cutting. That is why it is a good idea to use the two rulers as you can get a more accurate placement of the ruler you need to cut along.

Sorry about the change in fabrics. I had to go back and take pics of steps I didn't take the first time I wrote this lesson. And I didn't have the original fabrics. Sorry if that makes it a bit confusing.

You should have 4 rough squares. Meaning they aren't trimmed yet. The purpose of trimming after the yoyo is sewn on is so when you cut out with a template you get a more accurate square than if you started with a perfectly cut square for the background. When you applique on it can distort the background fabric somewhat so this way the final cut is more accurate.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111633[/ATTACH]

Cut out the square. Remember to keep the template from moving as you turn the mat to cut.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111634[/ATTACH]

Lay one rough square on your mini cutting mat. Place the 1 1/2" template on the rough square. Match up the corner of the template with the corner of the square.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111696[/ATTACH]

Fold back the light fabric and trim the bulk underneath. You can do this before or after you cut the rough square into a 1 1/2\u0094 block. Trim within a ¼\u0094 of the seam
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111699[/ATTACH]

The yoyo sewn onto the background square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111779[/ATTACH]

Both rulers positioned on the yoyo so they are centered
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111780[/ATTACH]

Remove the right ruler leaving the left one in position. DO NOT LET THE LEFT RULER MOVE!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111781[/ATTACH]

Cut along the ruler
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111782[/ATTACH]

Now take the half swatch and turn it so you can do it again and cut the half into two. Repeat with the other half. Pay attention to accurate placement of the rulers!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111783[/ATTACH]

Trim the excess fabric leaving a 1/4" seam allowance
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111787[/ATTACH]

Finished Drunkard's Path Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111788[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-111628.jpe   attachment-111629.jpe   attachment-111691.jpe   attachment-111694.jpe   attachment-111774.jpe  

attachment-111775.jpe   attachment-111776.jpe   attachment-111777.jpe   attachment-111778.jpe   attachment-111782.jpe  

attachment-111783.jpe