View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM
weezie

Do these people who wonder what we quilters give up in order to satisfy our need to quilt (time, $$$, exercise, etc.) ever wonder what we women sacrifice to raise children or how we benefit from it? This comparison may be outrageous, but raising children is the single most expensive, time consuming, joyful, sometimes heartbreaking endeavor that we ever get to do. And first, there is the stinkin' pregnancy, followed by horrendous labor pains, followed by many sleepless nights.

These "children" are not a hobby that we can get tired of and discard ... they are with us for life. I think & hope that, for most people, parenthood is a wonderful blessing. My children (who have been adults for many years) are my best friends and always have been, but I still feel a huge responsibility towards them.

If we can spend decades feeding, clothing, caring for children, (and a spouse, to boot) we have earned any and all rights to a lawful hobby, whether it be quilting, pole-dancing, whatever! Ditto for you "youngsters" who quilt & are still raising your children.