View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
brushandthimble

I hope this helps you with your bindings. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Better Binding Basics
Gather your supplies, walking foot, fabric for binding, quilt or practice square 12 – 18 inches; binding strips, marking tool, small ruler, scissors, about 3 pins. To hand sew binding to back; hand needle, matching thread, binding clips of your choice.
My binding supplies
This is based on cutting your binding strips 2 ½ inches wide. Cut number of strips needed:
To piece strips together lay one face up horizontal and the next face down vertically directly on the top of the first strip so right sides are together at an angle
Take the other end of the vertical strip, now lay it horizontal and add the next piece as above. (I string piece these all together).
Now all your binding strips are pieced take the pile to the ironing board. Press WRONG sides together, when you get to a seam clip the thread and trim seam allowance, press seam open; continue pressing binding until done.
How you store or control the pile of binding is a personal choice. I either fold or mark it for storage until I finish the quilt. Or roll it on a TP tube; or I take the pile to my sewing machine and attach to my quilt; when I take a long strip directly to my quilt and machine I toss the long roll over my shoulder.

My binding tools
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111900[/ATTACH]

sewing binding strips together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111901[/ATTACH]

storage of pre made binding strips
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111902[/ATTACH]

wrapped for storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111908[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-111895.jpe   attachment-111896.jpe   attachment-111897.jpe   attachment-111903.jpe