View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Because the original post on this subject went to Classifieds rather than the Main section, and because I've had so many wonderful responses from those who found it there and those who saw a reply I made here (I haven't a clue how I bounced around so!) I decided to repost it here, just to bring as any people up-to-date as possible. Here's what started it all:

"I debated a few hours before sharing this with you, but I decided in the end, who WOULD one share this request with if not other dedicated, loving quilters?

Today my daughter spoke with her DH Bert, an army Captain recently sent to Farah, Afghanistan, to an area that is as desolate as it gets. She cried pathetically as she told me about 2 puppies the soldiers had found and adopted, even naming them. It seems the puppies had been abused by the locals and the puppies hated them, reacting with loud barks and defensive behavior whenever they saw an Afghani. After winning over the hearts of the platoon, the men were devastated to find one puppy with his eyes removed and dying. They had to put the dog down as he became very ill after the horror. They have been advised they will have to destroy the remaining pup as the military higher-ups really do not allow them to keep pets while overseas, and the men are afraid the Afghanis will abuse him terribly if they turn him loose. She said her husband sounded so down, it made her just sick.

During this same call, Bert asked her if she thought I might have a couple of friends who could make a few 'small' quilts to put on his men’s beds in the barracks to give some color to their drab, sandy, dirty, desolate environment. He was worrying about morale and thought maybe color in this form would help. I can only imagine how a cuddly warm fuzzy would console a big ole soldier in the dark of night or after a miserable day. It touches my heart how Bert is always putting his men's care first. I can't imagine sending only 4-5 quilts; who would decide which soldier gets one?!!

He also suggested it would be helpful to have a few small quilts (I picture 36-40" sq.) -- very, very simple patterns-- to take with them when they enter the homes of the village elders. It is his job to train and co-ordinate with Afghani citizens who are trying to pull their country back together. I picture theme-carefully-chosen cheater panels or simple wide strips sewn together.

Her call galvanized me and I assembled blocks donated by a local guild member into a quilt this very afternoon. My heart is so heavy for these precious young men who put their life on the line for us every single day.

So........I'm asking if any among you would be willing to make some bed quilt TOPS -- we are setting a size request of 45" x 65" in order to fit their cots. If you would piece a TOP with your fabrics and mail them on to me, I will see them batted, quilted, and mailed overseas.

We are setting up a local committee to raise funds to pay the shipping, which will likely cost us $12.50 each quilt. We will buy batting seconds from Quilters Dream, already arranged with them; there are a small amount of funds so far for that. But donations would be gladly accepted!

Please consider joining this effort. I really need your help as there is no way I could make up to 20 some quilts in the next 6-8 weeks.
Thank you for listening,
Jan in VA

P. S. I will be more than happy to send directions for some simple patterns, things that could be pieced in a day or two. I can add those here or through PM, as you wish."