View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
june6995

Hi Feathers, I appreciate you comments about using sheets on quilts. For the purpose of restoring an old quilt, I would say it would not be at all compatible to use a poly/cotton sheet for backing.!

But to hasten on, for some of us who do a lot of charity quilts, we are working on an entirely different premise....making something that will keep someone warm and at a reasonable cost to the quilter.

I am sure I am not the only person who uses poly/cotton piecing in their quilts. I use whatever fabrics I can get and adding a poly/cotton sheet to the back just makes it more economical to create for that purpose.

We all have our own ideas of how and why we make quilts. For those who want to use them to "show", there is one set of rules. Making an future heirloom has another set of rules, and would require that you consider the life span for that work. Hand quilting probably would not be easy to do on some of the poly/cotton sheets. But for me, the sheet is ideal. My quilts are all machine made, so the quilting stitch is durable and works well on sheets. I can buy them at Thrift stores for $3 or $4 dollars each. I am able to make and give more quilts when I keep my expenses low.

So you see, the rules don't apply to all quilt making. Living on a retirement income does not allow for an expensive quilt to be made and given in a situation where it will get some pretty rough use.

Looking at the topic of quilting as a Big Picture will teach all of us that one set of rules does not apply to all. And I am glad you were able to see the incongruent use in the case of restoration. That took a sharp eye, so I would say you are a savvy quilter. Keep up the good work. We all have a lot to learn.

June in Cincinnati