View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 01:52 PM
mshawii

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I am not a fan of applique. BUT I have done it both ways--machine and hand. I hate hand work, but love the look of hand applique better than machine. Some can get the corners looking great with a machine, mine look like a disaster.... I usually do button hole stitch by hand and satin on machine (because of the disaster with button hole) I ALWAYS use some form of fusing. The last hand applique I did I use Steam a Seam 2 and it was very thick for me and difficult to needle. When I use a cheap fuse from a bolt from Jo-anns I don't have that problem. You just need to try different things to see what you like and go from there. Good luck on your adventure!
Steam a seam has a light weight that you might like better. As for you machine appliqué, go in and ask for a demo on machine quilting, using the zigzag method. I saw one on Nancy Zeaman's show the other day where she decreased her stitch width b y counting to 5, and hitting the "decrease" button, till she got to the point, and then hit the "increase" button counting to 5, till it got to the width she wanted to use. I was impressed with this method, altho i think that the machine I just bought does it automatically.