View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
canuckninepatch

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.
I'm Canadian as well, and I agree - the prices here are out of this world. I often order online. But then, the other day I ordered some fabric from an American website (Oregon) that came out to $55.98. The shipping was an additional $16.56. So I assumed my final price was $72.54. They sent it by UPS, and when the UPS guy came to the door, he told me I would have to pay him $41.07!!!!! for the UPS brokerage fee. (That's on top of the $72.54 I had already paid!) So it turned out to be VERY expensive fabric.

I called the fabric company in Oregon, to suggest to them that they might consider sending fabric by express post envelopes, rather than UPS when sending to Canada.