Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Tussymussy

I too am green with envy with the prices you pay for your fabric as well as the choice you have. My local shop charges $11 - £20 but it is for a metre - 39" approx.

I have also bought from the states and most of the time am lucky that I am not charged import duties - it depends on chance.

To increase my 'stash' (which is miniscule compared to some of the piccies I have seen on here) I haunt our local charity (thrift?) shop for cotton garments that are deemed not good enough for sale - their customers are very choosy.

So I have spent the last few days, taking apart some lovely plain and not so plain men's shirts to re-use the fabric. 4 shirts cost $1.55 or £1. Washed, and lightly starched they are great in scrappy quilts.

I also save up for the sales and then go on a shopping spree. The only problem is that the colour shown on my screen is not what arrives. Recently bought a lovely dark green floral and it was virtually black! This won't be used in my green quilt and will have to be left to another project.

To let the green complexion subside, I am now going to my tiny stash and plan my next project!