Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 AM
AbbyQuilts

Originally Posted by lauriejo
Is anyone else in this group diagnosed with celiac, or on the gluten-free diet? (No wheat, barley, rye or commerically grown oats) I have always loved bread, pasta, crackers, all the things I had to give up. The gluten free options are just not the same, although they are getting better. When I had to start the diet I found myself justifying alot of poor diet choices as compensation for all the things I had to go without. Then about when I had gotten my life back on track, and was finally feeling healthy, the fibromyalgia symptoms began although it was just diagnosed last month. As it became more and more difficult to do anything the pounds crept up. Now here I am; 50 pounds overweight, exhausted all the time, and dealing with constant pain from the fibro arthritis and bursitis. I know some of you are dealing with this, and much more, how do you keep going?
My father in law is, my mother in law, my sister in law, my niece and my husband are all celiac.
It is a pain for family get together.
My husband is the worst one and does not follow the no gluten.
and I feel bad because he is such a picky eater before this that you take gluten away and he eats nothing.
My niece is also dairy and soy intolerant. So she cannot eat a lot of things luckily she is good with he food choices.

Since I try to keep the gluten down in my house
I keep Chex on hand as it is gluten free and my husband like to just munch on them.

Also remember that you can find lots of gluten free items in the ethnic aisles. Asian has a lot made with rice and rice flour and Spanish has a lot of corn and corn flour.
It can be cheaper because they are not intended for the gluten free life. It just so happens they are gluten free

Good Luck! It is possible but it is a lot harder