Thread: sergers
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by Sandi19
I sew every day. Lately, I've been making bags, totes, and pillows for friends, as well as quilting.
Do I need lessons, or would I be able to teach myself using the internet and practicing on the machine?
I've taught myself to quilt using the internet and advice from friends, but no lessons.
A lot of it depends on what kind of sewing you do. I sew for people, make clothing, do alterations, and make window treatments, duvets, etc. The serger saves a lot of time for those things. When I make fleece throws I serge the edges with decorative thread. For quilting I don't use it except maybe when using flannel. If I am making large plain tote bags for shopping bags I use the serger, but not for anything lined. I have 2 sergers. One is set up all the time for the stitch you see on your tee shirts and sweat pants. The other is the one I use for everything else. I would get one from a dealer so you can get lessons. There are several price ranges up to computerized ones. You really have to learn a completely new way to sew when you have a serger. I love mine. Good luck with whatever you decide.