Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 AM
virginialbrown

It also helps to clip the corners on each piece so you don't have a rats nest when its washed and dried. The clipping acts like pinking shears. You can also purchase a pinking blade for your rotary cutter. Its worth the time. I also wet one piece at a time in my sink rather then use my washer. It takes out the sizing and after you do that toss it in the dryer. Its a good time to test to see if over dyed things bleed as well. When you buy the cheap fabric from JoAnns and Walmart you will notice that it goes limp as a rag. This is what the Textile companies use to print a first run of the fabric. After that they go to the threads with more thread count. It makes a hugh difference in the life of your quilting and the usage. You can't see thru the good stuff and its running $10.00 a yard in most shops. So you get what you pay for. If I am going to spends hours and dollars making a quilt I expect $100.00 to $200.00 for fabrics and battening or more as I don't do Queen and King. The better shops do not hire people with little or no experience on the cutting tables.