Old 08-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Quilting Aggi

Originally Posted by Skeat
Wow! I am game to try this! Do you get this 505 at JoAnn's? Here's some questions...
*How long does 1 can last you
*Could you give us the steps of spraying in order to save us time in figuring it out:))
*How strong/durable is it while working on machine quilting
*Do you have to wash out your quilt w/this?
*How bad does it stink?:))
Thanks..from a pin baster too....where I move everything in the kitchen and tape on the floor before I pin...and, I usually save several at once for I just detest it but, not as much as I would basting w/thread..so, I am thinking this could be a good thing:))Skeat
*How long does 1 can last you
depends on how many projects are have... you can get more out of a can with smaller projects. As for a full size quilt, you can get probably a couple quilts done. Again haven't spray basted many quilts, mostly smaller projects like wallhangings, table runners, placemats, tree skirts, etc.

*Could you give us the steps of spraying in order to save us time in figuring it out:))
I usually lay out my quilt like I would to pin and hand baste. With all layers together, slowly roll back the batting and top half ways. Spray down the backing and gently roll back the batting and top. Smooth light in place and keep an eye for puckers in your batting. Repeat on the bottom part of your quilt. Next roll back the quilt top only to half way. Spray on the batting, smooth the quilt top back in place. Repeat on the second half of your quilt. Viola!!! Now its time to quilt it!

*How strong/durable is it while working on machine quilting
It is quite strong. You may find the edges of your quilt top may come undone from the rest of your layers due to moving the quilt around under your machine. If necessary just spray a little more to keep it in place.

*Do you have to wash out your quilt w/this?
Once the binding is on, I tend to wash my quilts anyway. It would be a good idea just to remove any residue that may linger.

*How bad does it stink?:))
the 505 isn't too bad. some of the cheaper sprays can be bad. In any case, I would recommend you open any windows to keep the air flow going. This is especially good if there are any members in your family with breathing issues. If you have breathing issues, you might want to wear one of those painter's masks.

Hope this helps!

Cheers