Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
deema

So I've finally finished my first ever quilt top, and I'm pleased. Now onto the actual quilting part.

First, this is going to be a couch throw. I've kind of half thought about using the old fleece hanging out here (if it's big enough) as a batting...but I was also considering using a fleece or maybe minky backing. Would it quilt well with the double fleece? (I'll be machine quilting at home on a pretty basic machine, likely in the ditch, maybe some diagonals through my squares)

Would it be too warm, maybe?

I'm not opposed to buying batting I intended to at first (and still can), but the fleece is here and ugly and I thought it might be a good way to give it life after death, especially since its a colour that shouldn't show through my quilt and if there is any... uhh... what's that term, starts with a B I think, where the batting comes through... bearding? YES, that. It wouldn't stand out. I want it to be warm and cozy for our upcoming (Canadian!) winter, but not too heavy or thick, and I just don't have any experience with this... :?

Also (and this is probably the big neon *newbie* sign right here) when I start to quilt it...do I go around the edges first, sewing my layers together and then quilt the rest, or start from the middle of my quilt, working my way out and sew my edges later?

Thanks so much!! This whole process has been incredibly fun so far, challenging me in different ways and I've found it very therapeutic. Once I get this first one completed, and start developing a few of my own tricks, I think I'll be on the fast track to life long quilting! (I'm already eyeing up a new fancier sewing machine with some quilting and embroidery stitch options...Christmas is coming... :D )