View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Gosh, I'm so impressed with the quilts you all are already making! I'm sending a link to the board on to my DD so she can actually see the quilts we'll be sending her DH (my SIL) in Farah. She can keep him encouraged and excited about what's coming when they talk by phone.

Does anyone else find it amazing that these kids (to me anyway!) can talk to their families by telephone even though they can't bathe, wash clothes (water pump's broken), wander outside a heavily guarded, wire-enclosed compound, or buy personal supplies at a military-provided 'store' where they are?! The DD says he's longing for a diet Coke -- anybody know the regulations about whether some could be mailed to him? (Weird!)

I hope many of you will post quilt pics here.

I received official permission today from the Stars and Stripes News, the military newspaper, to use pictures from an article written about Farah last year. They show how truly ugly-barren it is there and will be a good heart tug on the display board we'll use to solicit funds toward shipping these quilts overseas.

You can read the Stars and Stripes article here: http://www.stripes.com/news/82nd-air...ovince-1.95786
Jan in VA