View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I had considered taking it back - although I didn't get it from a quilt shop.. it came from the evil empire. Having said that, I have never had fabric run like this in the past - even evil empire material. I didn't see a purple that quite worked at Hancocks and Hobby Lobby was closed since I got it on a Sunday... I know the dye is out now or at least I'm pretty confident it is.

I wonder if the evil empire would take it back... I might call the manufacturer if I can find it on the bolt next time I'm at the store... til then, it's okay. I am just soooo happy that I'm a prewasher cause I tell you what, I would have been soooo ticked if it happened afterwards. It would have totally ruined my runners & anything else that was in the wash too.. not to mention, it would not look quite match... so much for finding that perfect shade of purple. I was sooo thrilled when I found it since it matched 100% perfectly... well, til I washed it lol.
Okay, so what is "evil empire?" I'm assuming WM? Joannes? Chain store? Been telling people for years that they carry first run stuff, discontinued lines, over-runs, misprints, incorrect DYES, and other sneaky stuff. We don't get quality fabrics at discount prices most of the time.

That being said, NO 100% cotton fabric sold for quilting/clothing/craft use should bleed like that and it should be returned. Reputable batikers rinse their fabrics well and lay them out in the air, often on the ground or shrubs, to dry. In the shop we occasionally received from our manufacturers batiks that still had small debris rolled up in the bolts. It just let us know they truly were batik dyed fabrics.

I'm sorry you had to fight this frustrating issue.

Jan in VA