View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM
loopywren

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
So many of you from around the globe have talked about the outragous price of fabric where you live, including right here in the USA. I was wondering if, when you are quoting a price in your neck of the woods, you are quoting in your native currency or in US dollars. I guess if we knew the currency exchange we could figure it out. Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks! Inquiring minds want to know. Regardless of where in the world you are, we are all paying way to much for fabric these days, no matter your currency.
I have looked at the most recent exchange rate I can find..we pay on average $20 dollars a metre,( 39 inches) this is for patterned cotton,plain can sometimes be a little cheaper. I think part of the problem is various taxes, but also because we don't have many places to buy it keeps the prices up, less competition. It is difficult to find quilt shops, I buy at a quilt show in Birmingham once a year and the rest of the time on line. In small quantities only. I could not bear not to quilt. I have not had a lot of luck in thrift shops finding 100% cotton, just about everything seems to have synthetic in it as well.