View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:24 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
Okay... you guys probably know what I'm about to say... but I have to grumble anyway just to get it off my chest...

I am a prewasher since I don't like shrinkage after all my time and energy .. and this is one of those times that I am soooo glad that I actually looked in the washing machine as I was dumping "like" colors in to it - and saw the dye just running like a stream off of that batik...

I pulled it out, quickly, drained the washer to get any dye out of it and ran the machine without it....

Yup. It's lavender and those 4 yards of beautiful, deep purple batiks will not be used for this project... at least for the front of it. I might just use it for backing at this point... but I'm saddened. I'll probably have to make a special trip out to the store to get more dark purple fabric to go in to the project but at this point, I'm hoping I can just do without :'(

Okay.
I feel better now. It's off my chest.
Blankety blank batik. Grrrr.
Okay. NOW it's off my chest :D
I sometimes take fabric that's bleeding and put a large (8 gal) pot with water and a bottle of vinegar to boil. I boil the fabric in the vinegar/water mix and it seems to set the colors.

You might get some RIT purple dye and redye the entire piece. At this point you wouldn't be losing anything and the dye will react differently with the different colors already in the batik. If you want to see how it'll come out take a package of grape or raspberry koolaid (without sugar) and a fat quarter or just an 8 x 10 square. Soak it in the koolaid for about an hour. Take it out, dry it, and iron it. That'll tell you what it will look like after dyeing.