View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 06:18 AM
BellaBoo
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
BellaBoo I can appreciate your thoughts but there is a tiny glitch. For a retailer, it is actually illegal to purchase retaii from one store and resell the item retail in another store. Unfortunate but true.

Regarding Marshall Dry Goods, I love that place, their fabric is factory close out fabric. Albeit, great quality fabrics but being factory close outs the store runs the risk of not being able to get the same fabric if a customer should need more.

I do agree, if the LQS would bring in some lower price fabrics they do have a much better chance of bringing in more customers.

It is a really bad catch 22 situation. People that follow the magazines really want the current fabric lines but if the store is mostly selling close outs then they get the reputation of "selling old fabric" and that rumor will kill a shop super fast.
The fabric/sewing shop here that closed due to owner retirement after 30 years, always sold clearance items from other stores. Their prices were not much over the clearance price. Everyone knew to go to the bargain bin section of the store. They never had a problem I guess because they did it right up to retirement. The store was the only fabric store in the surrounding towns. the good fabric at great prices always sold out first, no matter if it was last year's line or several years old. It's odd how one business can stay profitable for so long and others can't make a go of it. No other fabric store has lasted more then two years since the old one closed. :cry: