View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM
raptureready

LOL Mom had an old bent pan that she put dad's hats on to dry after she'd dipped them in the starch. How she found a pan that was the same size as his head I don't know.

We heated with coal and then oil stoves and we didn't have indoor plumbing. In the fall we started saving all the newspapers. Mom would take several sheets, fold it in half, then half again then half again and cut about three inches off the corner where all the folds were. Then she'd stack them in a box in the corner. During the winter when nature called we'd unfold the paper until that hole made a circle and lay it on top the stove to heat. While it was heating we'd put on our boots, coat, hat, etc. Then we'd grab the paper, fold it, roll it up stick it under our coat and run to the outhouse. We'd hurry, and put it down then sit down while it was still warm. I'm sure that we were inventors of the original heated toilet seat. LOL

I also remember helping mom and grandma with those old wringer washers, butchering hogs at home and rendering the lard, making cracklins, butter, homemade cottage cheese and one of my least favorite---real mince meat.