Thread: Customer Quilt
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 AM
cjtinkle
Banned

Are you speaking of making the entire quilt, from piecing to quilting?

Most people who sell their works are clueless to what they should be charging, citing the "fact" that "no one will pay what it's worth". And then they proceed to make that a reality, by pricing not what it's worth in terms of labor, material and artistic value, but what they percieve their market will will bear.

I only quilted this quilt, I didn't do the piecing, so I can't vouch for the quality of the fabrics, I'm fairly certain they are Hobby Lobby/JoAnn type quality. Had I make this quilt from first run fabrics, done the piecing and the quilting, all with top quality thread, fabric and batting, I would charge roughly $140 for this quilt ( 38"x42" ), certainly not less than $120.

If you'd like a break down of those prices:
$40 to quilt (my minimum charge due to the time to load)
$8 for batting
$2 for thread
$30 for fabric
$60 labor (3 hours @ $20 per hour) to cut and piece it.

Obviously you would have to target your audience to the boutique crowd. Your $40k per year earner is not going to spend $140 for a baby quilt, but that's pocket change to someone earning $250k per year.

Originally Posted by chrisdim
Just wondering how much could you charge for such a beautiful quilt? Would a customer really pay what it is worth.