View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Rettie V. Grama

Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by farmquilter
"I sew in the seams then go back and applique the curve. For me it is quicker and easier."

applique, would you have more information or a link on your method of doing the circles.
I have done that also, especially when I make a pillow or potholder. Not only easier but sturdier.
I have one other suggestion that you might like to try. Sometimes when you applique the circle it seems to not lay flat. I remedy that before I applique it to the square. I cut a piece of batting the same size as the circle, baste it or use Elmer's Glue to hold together, then place on square in the middle. I determine the middle of the square, I snip a tiny piece at the point. The enclosed is a picture of potholder ready for finishing the binding and putting the loop on.

I took the front part of the potholder. Found the center of my circle pattern & placed it over the snipped hole and drew a circle around the pattern. I, then placed the circle of batting inside the circle using Elmer's Glue, then placed the fabric circle on top of that. It is then ready for the stitching. If you don't want any other embellishment around the fabric circle, cur it slightly larger than the outline and turn over the edge. If you want embellishment as I did with my potholder, attach either to top or bottom of fabric piece. Pin all pieces on the square so everything is stable and won't slip. Use a straight stitch or decorative one, which ever you prefer to attach the circle. If my embellishment has a finished edge, I attach the circle to the pot holder first then use the decorative stitch to put that on. Sounds difficult, but actually is quite easy and so much fun. In fact, you can use any shape you want, doesn't have to be a circle. If you are making a Drunkard's Path quilt, just cut your block square, applique the the circle to it, finish the circle and your block is done.

If you are stitching a curve for whatever reason and are having a problem keeping it flat, run a basting thread around the circle so you can ease in the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114631.jpe