View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 PM
PiecesinMn

Sorry it took so long to respond. No access to computer. The purpose of two layers is exactly what someone answered, your knots and stitches don't shadow through. It's not more difficult to embroider but you do need to baste the two pieces together before you trace your pattern. I didn't think it would really be all that great, but it really worked for me. Using a thin point fabric pen (which I think in permanent and stitching over it is much better than using those blue wash out pens. I have had a bad experience with them and don't care to use them. Give it a try, hope you like it to.
Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
PiecesinMN - what was the purpose of using the two pieces of muslin? For greater stability?

Did embroidering through 2 layers of fabric make it more difficult to embroider?

Did you like using the double layers, or was it more of a hassle?

Sorry so many questions, but I just never heard of that before!
I'm not Pieces, but I would think the reason to use two layers is so that the embroidery therad on the wrong side doesn't "shadow" through to the right side later on. Muslin can be fairly sheer, and you might not notice the shadowing effect until you make the quilt sandwich, at which point it would be too late.