View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
omak

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Originally Posted by omak
I worked at a Levi Strauss factory, also!
The denim we worked with was better than anything I could ever find on the shelves.
We didn't do the stone-washed version. <wave>
Omak, where did you work? and how long were you there? I wonder if there are other ex LS& Co. people here. I worked in El Paso, TX (Jeanswear), San Antonio, TX (womenswear) and then transferred to San Francisco home office. I love meeting other Levi's people!
I worked in the factory for 4.5 years. In Spokane, Washington back in 1990-94. Levis were one run that was pretty consistent through most of that time, but I worked on the other side with Helly Hansen for the most part.
We did contracting, so the boss had to bid different jobs, different clothing lines - - I have sewn zippers into hip pockets without pins (mind you <g>), the trim on bathrobes, insulated shirts for HH, even bathing suits, and some totes ... a variety of lines went through.
It was so amazing! I didn't know how to sew when I started and I don't know where I thought Levis came from, but apparently, I must have thought there was some sort of machine that you put the denim in one end and it came out the other end as a pair of jeans. :shock:
If anyone else never questioned where your clothing comes from, based on what I learned at the factory, every stitch, button, snap, zipper in every item you touch has been put there by human hands, a real human being. It was just amazing! I LOVED it! Production work is the BEST!
(of course, as I told my boss, I am also the person who can sit and watch a lava lamp for hours on end)...
it was exceedingly satisfying to me and because of my experience with the factory and Eleanor Burns, with her chain piecing and the rotary cutter - - quilting became the most practical thing to me. (Especially when I watched the scraps going out the back end; that didn't happen much after I found quilting <g>) <wave>