View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM
sew wishful

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I recommend a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 or 118, they are a bit more than $150, but a much better machine that will last longer and sew better than the Wal-Mart Brother. You get dealer support + classes to teach you to use your new machine. If you're buying a new machine you need to spend $300-400 to get a decent machine.
I also collect and use antique sewing machines and they will still be here when the plastic low end machines have bit the dust. My oldest machine is a Singer 201 that 80 yrs old and still sewing wonderfully.
I bought a Janome at what I thought was a reputable dealer who promised me classes, support, etc, etc and never has contacted me since I bought it. To be honest he's probably glad to be rid of me. You see, I also purchased another cheaper machine, a sewing table and the acrylic piece that goes in the table for the machine. After 2 weeks the acrylic piece had never been ordered, so he ordered and said it would be sent directly to me. Two weeks later I still didn't have it and "it must be on back order". Two weeks later I called again and guess what. It had finally come in. To his shop, 60 miles from me! So off I went to get the piece for my table. I was not a happy camper when I walked into the shop and told him what I was after, he handed it to me, and I thanked him and walked out. I've never seen or heard from him again. I've heard another customer say he was very rude to her. What ever happened to customer service? I won't go back there for machine repair, service or another machine! But I do love my machine!!