View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Lockeb

Thanks to everyone for checking in - and for your comments...I am pleased that you like them....it is not a complicated project..but is time consuming...I calculated about 1h30-2h00 per placemat...but it really was a fun project to do....

mshawii..
This is my own original pattern....there are lots of jar patterns out there - different sizes and styles..but the placemats pictured were made from a BILL LOCKE DESIGNS original pattern.....there is no "HER" :-)
What you are suggesting is done very often but that's not the way that a COPYRIGHT pattern works..as in this case!

I just wanted to explain how I came about with this pattern.......I have done jar projects before...but everything was bigger than I wanted for a project of this size.....

So I sat down and designed something that I feel is more size appropriate for a placemat...the other jar projects that I have done were regular pieced...and I wasn't able to find a paper-pieced pattern so I thought I would design one of my own....my customer was really interested in a set of placemats and so I thought it would be great to have someting original...and so that's when I came up with this pattern - to be able to do the placemat project for her...... And, since it was my own pattern, I decided to have to put it into work - get it printed and make it my 3rd pattern in my series........

I would also like to add that I like to design the old-fashioned way - I don't do them by computer (not that there is anything wrong with that - this is just a personal choice)..but I sit down with paper and pencil and begins to draw and design the olde way....working out a paper structure, templates....make a prototype to see how it works - getting to to be where I want it...and then after all of that is done - the pattern is born...it takes several days of designing and sewing before the final pattern is ready...but I just loving this new aspect of my quilting - and my passion for anything quilting gets greater every day....

Voila!!! :-)

Just wanted to give a big of a background on this one....