View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Gerbie

Sat. Well.....folks, I didn't get to bring the machine and cabinet back today. I did take a couple of pics. and will post later this evening or tomorrow when I can get my DH to help me. The cabinet is literally falling apart it has sat out in the weather for so long. I will have to get a complete new cabinet made for it. but will be able to use the metal frame. There is a machine inside, I didn't take pics. of it, because the cabinet was in such poor shape I was afraid if I raised the machine up to look at it, the bottom might fall out and drop the machine. It is an Elgin. I will go over when DB gets back from Houston to get it. My brother said the neighbor told him the machine had been his grandmothers, so who knows the age. What a crying shame to let such a treasure completely ruin. I almost cried when I saw how it looked. DB said that's how these neighbors take care of everything, such a shame. I saw another piece of good looking furniture they had sitting out to ruin. I may see if they want to sell it a nice buffet cabinet type of furniture. I didn't look that close at it. If they do, I might be able to use the wood from it for the cabinet. But I'm hopeful that I can get a new cabinet made for it, using the base. I think my DH can make me one, if not, I will find someone who can. Anyway, I am going to bring it back home and try to revive the machine anyway. I am not familiar with an Elgin, how about it Billy or anyone else on the board? But I do appreciate my brother's effort and it was so sweet of him to check on it and be able to get it. I will post pics. that I took, didn't get but a couple, because the machine was still at the neighbors. I think my brother felt the same way I did, not to move it but once. Gerbie