View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 AM
quiltingnewbie

For my first quilting project, I'm making a twin-sized quilt for my daughter. The pattern I chose is a 12-inch sailboat block. Using traditional twin quilt dimensions, that translates to 5 blocks across by 7 down, with 8 inches widthwise and 4 inches lengthwise left to fill with a border/binding.

So here's my question -- I have a hunch this quilt would look better with borders between all of the blocks. Either I can make the whole quilt larger, or I can use one fewer block per row and column (4 across, 6 down), and use the extra space on borders. But for some reason, I think a quilt with an odd number of blocks going across would look better than one with an even number. That way, there'd be a center row of blocks to be able to center on the bed.

So, which would you do -- make a bigger quilt or fewer blocks? I guess there's also the option of scaling down the block size, but that's a little more complicated than I'm willing to contemplate right now.

Oh,and if I'm overthinking this or otherwise making myself look dumb, I apologize in advance. I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants here, and I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions