Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny!

[/quote

A VS II is a vibrating shuttle machine with fiddle base. (There's also a VS I, but they were only made for 2 years and are rarely found--I've had only 2 through here in all my years of hunting and gathering.) They look like a Singer 27 except for the fiddle base.

A badged machine is one made by one of the major manufacturers for another company, and instead of the manufacturer's name will have what ever name the company wants. For instance, Sears bought machines from National, Davis, Domestic, Standard, White, and Goodrich and badged them all "Minnesota".

Model 28/128 and model 99 are all 3/4 size; measure the bed of the machine and you will see it is 6 1/2" x 12" as opposed to the full-sized machines dimensions of 7" x 14 3/4".

As for mine, I bought the cabinet with a not-so-nice head, then bought another cabinet with a beautiful head and put the two together, then sold the 2nd cabinet with yet another VS II head I had around here. (I still have two VS II heads in rather rough condition around here; I had been trying to put this one together for a while!)
Wow, so I have two 3/4 size machines now -- a 99K and the 28 I got yesterday!

Ok a badged machine is made by a major manufacturer and labeled something else, so how do we know it is a 'badged' machine? Knowing what is a 'badged' machine and what is not, is that just something you have to learn or is there some reference somewhere with that information? Does it matter that it is a 'badged' machine?

I am still very excited over my hand crank 1898 that I found yesterday! I now have 5 treadles, oh my!

Miz Johnny, that is a beautiful machine and cabinet you have! Is the smaller cabinet original?

Nancy