View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by polly13
Okay, now I REALLY don't know what to do! I have a Pfaff 7570 which I purchased in the '70s. Though I can embroider with it, I have been toying with the idea to buy a Creative 4.0, making the embroidering much easier, and still use it for quilting, regular sewing, etc. Should I throw that idea out the window? A friend says her Viking embroiders well. Bernina dealer is 90 minutes away. Ohhhhh what to do? Any words of wisdom?
Not sure if it's words of wisdom, but that has never stopped me before. lol

I used to be a Pfaff girl - all the way. Not that mine were TOL but they were not the cheapies either. When my older one had trouble with the bobbin case, I said to the sales gal "oh just for fun, show me what you got." Ended up with the 2056/58??? which lifts its little foot. This was late last fall. When I got her home, we found out that we were not compatible. She is not a bad machine, but she is not the machine for me. I noticed a difference in handling (compared to my other machine) and she has some quirks that irritate me.

I spoke with others who have the same machine, and IF the person "upgraded" from another Pfaff, they all said the same thing. IF they were new to Pfaff, they did not notice.

As Candace pointed out, many machines are outsourced, so the argument that we "only" use American or we "only" buy European machines holds no water. There are some really great machines made in China, Taiwan, or where-ever that are high quality and make our quilter hearts soar.

For you, my dear - I would suggest that you test drive the heck out of the 4.0 and see if you like her. I read in a review that their first release of the Expression had an annoying bump where the table met the machine and that it was impossible to get things sewn straight. (One of the reasons I shied away from it at the time) But I have seen quilters use that machine in classes and it seems that problem is fixed. They also LOVE their Expression 4.0.

Me, I decided on a Babylock Espire - the reason is kind of silly: The darn machine sews sideways and at an angle. THAT was IT for me. "You had me at Hello!" lol