View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
thelondonzoo

In my small, rural southern Oregon town, we have a Walmart, a Joann Fabrics, and about 30 miles south of where I live we have a mom and pop quilt store called Tater Patch Quilts. I would rather drive the 30 miles to go to TPQ than Walmart and Joann and here's why: I bought the wrong size batting from them. The package was opened, the batting was lying on my bed to air out, and then I realized my mistake. I called TPQ and asked if I could return it (expecting a no) and they happily said yes. When I went back to return the batting for a larger size, the owner not only gave me a larger size but she also forgave the $10 price difference. That would not have happened at the bigger box store. Also, the fabric selection at TPQ is amazing! Yes, most of their fabrics run about $10.99/yd but they have a huge 40% clearance room (yes, a whole room) and I found ALL the fabrics I needed for my quilt in the 40% off section. My DH was so impressed with their service that he insisted I buy $40 worth of whatever I wanted. I got fabric pencils, thread, rulers, and a pattern. The owner of the store remembered I had a daycare and asked after my kids. She also remembered I was a first time quilter and offered to help with any aspect of my quilting for free. All I had to do was come in the shop and someone would help me. You just can't find that kind of service at the big box stores.

How many of you shop at mom and pop stores even though there are big box stores available for you to shop at? Let's here it for the little guy and support small business! :thumbup: