View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Boo

WOW, you ladies are ambitious. Just like there are many types and brands of sewing machines, there are similar for long arms. I hesitate to attempt to describe here, as there are so many. Therefore, I will direct you to do a google search of long arm quilting machines.

The truth is a long arm quilting machine is a big ticket item. The ultimate best in the world quilting machine, is only as good as it's operator. Before you consider using your children or grands as collateral for a $15,000+ machine, you may want to look at frames that use home sewing machines. Be aware that even these can be pricey. The least expensive will cost a few hundred dollars, while some are over $1,000.

Some areas have quilt shops that will rent time on their long arm. Usually you will be required to take a class in it's operation, but believe me you will be glad you did. This will allow you to decide if this is something you want to persue. A long arm machine takes a lot of space, and alot of practice. Do your homework. This is not the sort of purchase one should make without first actually using one.