Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
barnbum

The story: my son and his new wife's dog tossed his cookies on their new kind sized comforter. :roll: They quickly tossed it into their washing machine, and it proceeded to break (they thought) their washer and rip/melt the comforter. They tossed the comforter on the line, thinking it was a lost cause, and it didn't dry well and now smells like mildew.

Mark and I visited last week; Mark and Justin fixed the dryer, and I told Jenny I could mend the comforter. I assigned her the task of finding a piece of fabric at Joanne's she liked. She did (perfect color!), and I will work out the mending. The piece she chose is polyester to match the blanket.

So---my plan to mend it is to double up on the fabric (it's thin), then make a patch to machine appliqué over the melted spot. There's a second tear on a corner that will be tricky, but I'll work out something.

I washed the fabricJenny picked by hand --and have it on air dry in the dryer--hoping to get it to dry. It's a damp day and our heat isn't on, so it's tough to dry stuff.

So--this comforter stinks! I'm thinking to wash it in the bath tub in detergent and do a vinegar rinse, but how the heck does one dry the thing?? Will it need to be dry cleaned?

Help.