Old 09-12-2010, 03:39 PM
amandasgramma

Or, I should have titled this "I THOUGHT I was a good housekeeper". I thought I'd share this with you...because so many people don't know about doing this simple maintenance!

I had to dig behind my computer screen for a pen and discovered TONS of dust on my computer hard drive...right on the vents. I'd noticed the fan would run loud and long the last few weeks, but put off cleaning it. My harddrive (the tower, or whatever your computer people call it) has screws....you CAN get in there without causing the machine to blow up. I unscrewed two screws and opened the machine. OMG..the dust, cat hair and god knows what else was caked in there! I used a "dust-off" spray, but I think I'll get a vacuum. It blew dust EVERYWHERE! Okay - got that cleaned out and then remembered something else. The keyboard.

The keyboard keys are VERY simple to get out. Simply use a pair of old scissors or a letter opener and pop them off. Keep them in order though! You won't believe what's behind/under them! Using the q-tip type swabs does NOT get all the gunk out! I used alcohol on swabs to get the hard stuff and just dusted with a rag on other stuff. I've heard of people actually putting them in the dishwasher but I haven't had the nerve yet. Below is what I got out of my keyboard AFTER I'd used the swabs!!!

I've done this for years......worked for a gov. agency that didn't believe in spending money (yip, you heard it here) and they wouldn't replace our keyboards if they got sticky. So, I experimented one day and never asked for another keyboard.

I figure today's antics saved me $50.00 or more for the keyboard and an untold amount for repairs if the fan had quit working!!!!

TTFN!

dee
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91931.jpe