View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
luvTooQuilt

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My sewing room gets messy but I try to re-organize before i leave so the next time i go in there I'm not spending hrs cleaning up.. But here's a few suggestions that I do:

~keep an empty square (not rectangle, that one is too big for me) kleenex box next to your machine. When clipping threads n such toss them in. When its all full just toss the whole thing away..

~buy an over the door clear shoe organizer- Use to hold your notions, thread, whatever you need put away but close at hand too. Even a Christmas one works. ( i use both) the center that holds the rolls of wrapping you can store stabilizer and such instead. Got them both at the dollar store.

~ I use the metal multiple pant hanger with the clips to hold my strips on the back of a door on a door hook. My MIL had a dozen of these so they came in handy.

~Keep clear packing tape to remove , threads-lint-fuzz off carpet/floor/and you- just tape your hand - sticky side out- and unstick away.

~keep a small box (priority mailer box perhaps- they are free at the post office) to toss in scraps from your project. When project is done decide if they should be put away back on your fabric shelf or in the scrap bin (will discuss this further down) Plus if this becomes a WIP put your project in box, with scraps, that way should you need that one little extra needed piece of fabric its there..

~ use clip boards, mount them on hooks on the wall, to keep your patterns at hand.

~ keep a shoebox sized basket at the cutting table to toss in your cutter, pencils, snippers, ect., when your not using them. And when you need them, Quick reach and there they are.. also get a smaller one for next to your machine..

~ Go to Quiltville.com they have a great way to organize scraps - I currently have 5 of the 3 drawer sterilite plastic see thu drawers for my 'strings n scraps'

~ use clear shoe boxes to organize smaller 'cuts'

~ Use See thru stack-able labeled gallon tubs to store fabric

~ use infant ponytail holders around unused bobbins to keep the thread from being unwound

That's All I can think of right now.. My room is by no means perfect but I cant stand when I lose things....