Thread: Watermeadows
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Marquilt

You did want to see another of my quilts - right? *g*

I'm sure you will recognize the underlying Grandmother's Flower Garden here, but I wanted to make something a bit more, um, contemporary? I began by picking a bunch of cheerful, summery sorts of fabrics from my stash and then just seeing what happened as I made the "flowers" and arranged and rearranged them on my design wall.

This quilt is 70x50" and hangs on a wall. It was constructed with the English paper piecing method, something which I enjoy every once in a while. It's fiddly and mindless and relaxing, and very, very precise.

I've never been totally happy with my choice to make so many of the empty spots between the flowers yellow. At a distance those things look too much like polka dots to me. Oh well, what's done is done.

I am happy with the quilting though. Many of my quilts incorporate quilted circles, but this one is wholly done with circles of varying sizes. I have circle templates from the tiny to the large, and I just got them all out and went nuts. There was no proper prior planning.

I don't normally come up with names for my quilts, but this one got lucky. I don't remember what inspired it, likely something I was reading at the time.

detail
[ATTACH=CONFIG]100046[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100040.jpe   attachment-100041.jpe