Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I had done some fusible applique in the past. I used Steam-a-seam Lite 2, I believe. When I went to do the stitching on the side, it completely mangled the fabric. I was doing the zigzag stitch, trying to get it halfway on the fabric and halfway on the background. I also tried straight stitching on the inside, but whatever I did, the edge fabric was fraying like crazy and it just looked so unfinished and unpolished. I dislike hand applique since it takes so long but the edges look so beautiful and clean. I was using cotton fabric onto muslin and cotton. Any suggestions for how to make that happier?? Thanks!
Be sure are you fusing the 'rough' design to the steam a seam, and then cutting it out EXACTLY once the fusible is on the applique piece. It helps get the fusible exactly to the cutting line, rather than cutting the shape of your applique out first and then fusing the steam a seam to it. Try using a tear away stabilizer behind the base fabric. It helps keep everything from scrunching up, and will keep you stitching nicer.