Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Mattee

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Money is alot dirtier than fabric is and there is no way I am putting money in the washing machine! Next time you hold a dollar bill in your hands think about how many stipper buttcracks its been in. Are you going to wash it? I guess I just don't worry about stuff like this but really there is bad stuff every where you go, in everything you touch. NOT JUST FABRIC!
Originally Posted by Prism99
That sounds extreme to me. Staph is a bacterial infection you can get from touching almost anything someone else has touched. I think it would make more sense to advise someone to wash their hands frequently.

Of course, there are people who are allergic to some of the chemicals used to finish fabric; those people need to wash fabrics before handling them. However, allergies and staph are two different problems.
The only fabric I wash is swap fabric for this reason!
ROFLMAO @ Danni !!!!!
OMG your right!!!!
Plus did you know that all US currency has cocaine residue on it too?
I do not wash all of my fabrics because I want the crispness of the sizing when I cut and sew. I will wash when it is a fabric which may bleed. I think if someone is THAT worried about germs then perhaps they do need to wash everything...
The woman in question did not nessessarily get the Staph from the fabric or needle. It floats in the air, on steering wheels,cell phones,grocery store doors etc.
Proper hand washing is the best way to avoid infections, but sometimes even that doesn't work. It is the risk you take when you go out in public. Yes, I agree that third world countries are not as clean as we would like them to be, but I have seen some places in our own country that I'd shower after visiting as well.
I think that washing fabric or not is a choice that we each make for our own reasons.
:lol:
I agree completely about the messes that can be found in our own country. Lack of sanitation is not exclusive to third world nations. Plus, as others have pointed out, staph and allergies are two different things, and I think it's far more likely her staph came from her money than her fabric.