View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by twinkie
Just a quick background about how I came to have this quilt. My DH and I have only been married 4 1/2 years. However, we were high school sweethearts. Scott's Mom came to live with us after we were married only 3 months. She had Alzheimers, was legally blind and had incontinent bowels. It was a rough year. She passed in 2007. My DH went to Florida (where she lived before we brought her up here) and they went through the entire house, cleaning out everything. He called me one afternoon and said, "Honey, we were in the loft in the garage and found a cedar chest. In the chest was an old quilt. It was one my great grandmother Higby made in 1912. Do you want it?" I said, "Isn't it in the car yet?". He said, "No, Natalie (his two year old DGD) is playing on it out on the concrete driveway". I about had a stroke. Long story short, he brought it home to me and I treasure it. I just thought I would share it with you. It is all hand pieced, but tied and not quilted. I am not sure what you call the pattern, but here it is.
Thanks Great Grandmother Higby.
There is a national project going on to document quilts in America. Our local group is currently doing this in connection with the mational project. Google - www.quiltproject.org to find when they will be near you. You must find out all you can about the quilt. Ask family members if they know any history of it. It was obviously made from scraps from/of work clothes. (Clothes that can be bleached) the colors tell me that. The local charge to document a quilt is a whole $5.00. Good luck. If you can't find it, PM me and I will help. What a beautiful memorial to his family.